Deep-frying is one of the most popular ways to cook food. People all over the world enjoy the crispy and golden brown deliciousness of deep fried food. It may not be the healthiest way to eat, especially if it is done regularly, but it does satisfy those late night food cravings.
Just like with everything else in life, moderation is key when it comes to eating fried food. Having a deep fryer at home allows you to cook food that is a little bit healthier than takeout and fast food options.
Other Ways to Make Fried Food
Since it has been established that eating a lot fried food is not very healthy, there is another option you can look into, which is the air fryer. This method of frying involves the use a very small amount of oil and hot air is blasted inside the unit which creates a final product that closely mimics the taste and texture of traditionally fried food. With this option available, why then do people still go for the deep fryer instead of the air fryer?
To give you a better idea, here are a few good comparison points between the traditional deep fryer and the air fryer:
Differences in Features
At first glance air fryers and deep fryers look very similar. This is because of these two types of fryers that have similar features. These features can include adjustable heat controls, timer, oil filters, and even controls that are designed to be user-friendly. The only feature that makes the air fryer standout is it has a convenient on and off switch which makes it much easier to use than a traditional air fryer, even one that has a preset thermostat.
Another similarity between the two fryers and their features is that they become more expensive when they come with a long list of features.
Air fryers are usually smaller than deep fryers which also results in them cooking a lesser amount of food in one “frying.” A deep fryer may require a bigger and heat-resistant countertop in a kitchen, but it is better if you want to fry a larger amount of food. Plus, if you invest in a deep fryer with different basket sizes you can fry more than just type of food at the same time. This makes it more efficient in cooking than the air fryer.
If you have a tight budget, the deep fryer is a better choice compared to the air fryer. Most deep fryers cost bellow $100 while new air fryers are priced above $100. If you want to get your hands on traditionally fried food and the amount of oil used isn’t a concern for you, the deep fryer is your frying machine.
Taking Care of Your Deep Fryer
If by now you are convinced that a deep fryer is the better choice, it’s time to learn more about maintenance and cleaning the unit. There’s nothing more frustrating than using a fryer that is oily to touch and full of grease and food debris. This is very unsanitary, and it will also reduce the lifespan of your unit. Here are some simple cleaning tips to follow to make sure your fryer is always in tip top shape.
Tip 1: Setting Up for Cleaning. Before you get right down to cleaning your fryer make sure you do the following for safety reasons: unplug the machine, let the oil cool down, dispose or store oil properly. Never throw used oil down the drain!
Tip 2: Wipe First. Don’t just start with cleaning products; the amount of grease can render your dish soap useless. Instead, wipe the inside of the fryer with a paper towel so that the excess oil and grease are absorbed. This step makes it easier to clean.
Tip 3: Warm Water and Soap. Use a sponge and dip it in a solution of warm water and dish soap. Gently clean the inside and outside of the unit, being extra careful water does not spill on the electrical parts of the fryer. Rinse the water-safe parts of the unit when done.
Bonus Tip: If a foul-smelling odor develops, take a 1:9 ratio of vinegar and water solution and put it in the fryer. Let it soak for a few minutes and then rinse.
The key to taking care of your deep fryer and ensuring that it lasts a long time is to clean it regularly. Don’t let grease and debris build up for a long time or you might end up throwing away your deep fryer earlier than you should have.
Top 5 Best Deep Fryers
Now that you have learned the basics in deep fryer care, cleaning, and maintenance you’re probably looking forward to frying up some food at home. Here’s a short list of some of the highly recommended deep fryers worth looking into if you’re shopping for one.
Hamilton Beach Deep Fryer with Cool Touch
When it comes to kitchen gadgets, Hamilton Beach is one of the most popular brands. They have been producing kitchenware for over a century, and their Hamilton Beach Deep Fryer with Cool Touch has also made many people very happy. Hamilton Beach has made deep fried food easily accessible to home cooks everywhere. This review will cover the different features, the pros, and the cons that come with owning a Hamilton Beach Deep Fryer with Cool Touch.
- 2 Liter or 8 cups oil capacity
- Dimensions: 8.58”H x 11.38”W x 13.94”D
- Closed lid allows for reduced splattering when cooking
- Cook six cups of fries or chicken tenders in one frying
- Reduced accidents thanks to the cool-touch sides
- Power cord has a magnetic breakaway system
- Basket lifts up for draining while lid is on
- Comes with adjustable temperature settings
- Power on and ready lights fitted
- Check on food easily using the viewing window
- Oil tank is enamel-coated making it easier to clean
- Trusted and tested kitchenware brand
- Hassle free frying, draining, and cleaning
- Provides proper insulation
- Sides are safe to touch
- Unit does not get too hot
- Lid reduces splattering and burns from hot oil
- Cleanup is a breeze with reduces oil splatters
- Large cooking capacity
- Very affordable and reliable deep fryer
- Very short cord length
- Does not stay plugged when moved
- No timer
- Takes time for oil to heat up
- A thermometer may be needed to monitor the oil temperature
If you are on the search for an affordable deep fryer that can cook more than enough fried goods for two people the Hamilton Beach Deep Fryer with Cool Touch is a great product to check out. It is a highly trusted brand that has made many home cooks happy with their purchase, and it might just transform your kitchen too.
T-fal Oil Filtration Ultimate EZ Clean Immersion Deep Fryer
Dealing with hot oil to get that perfectly deep fried and golden brown food can be dangerous, especially if you’ve never tried deep-frying before. Although frying is one of the easiest ways to get tasty and delicious food, you could end up injuring yourself if you don’t know what you’re doing. Plus, frying in a shallow pan or a pot creates a lot of oil splatters which can be a hassle to clean up afterward. Facing these challenges can turn a person off from deep-frying.
Lucky for fried food lovers, there are electric deep fryers like the T-fal Oil Filtration Ultimate EZ Clean Immersion Deep Fryer. Here you will learn more about this deep fryer to help you determine if this will be a good gadget to add to your kitchen or not.
- 5L oil capacity
- 1700-watt fryer
- Can cook u to 2.65 pounds of food in one frying
- Dishwasher safe parts makes cleanup easier
- Handles are cool to the touch even when fryer is on
- Thermostat is adjustable
- Immersion heating element helps maintain oil temperature
- Easy cooking and quick draining through the two-position baskets
- Restaurant-quality results
- EZ Clean oil-filtration system is patented
- Save on oil cost and make oil storage simple
- Immersion heating element allows constant fried results
- Maintains oil temperature to make restaurant-quality food
- Food tastes better
- Easy to drain and clean oil tank
- Stores used oil in a plastic tank with pour spout
- Saves money by allowing you to easily reuse oil
- Dishwasher safe parts makes cleaning fast and simple
- Deep-frying food is made easier, better, safer, and simpler
- Short cord
- Costs a lot
- May be susceptible to receiving broken parts
- Shipping mishandling and manufacturing errors are an issue
If you believe in getting only the best of the best even when it comes to deep fryers, the T-fal Oil Filtration Ultimate EZ Clean Immersion Deep Fryer will greatly impress you. You will never have an unsatisfied fried food craving ever again with this deep fryer in your kitchen.
Presto FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer
Having an electric fryer at home means you have easy access to your favorite fried food when you get a craving. This also means that you can cut your visits to the fast food joint nearest your home. Although homemade deep-fried food isn’t that healthy, it is a healthier option to fast food. Deep-frying is a matter of waiting for the oil to reach the correct temperature and then frying the food until it is perfectly golden brown and crispy.
You can do all this and more with the help of the Presto FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer in your kitchen. Read on to learn more about this quaint deep fryer.
- 4:4 food to oil ratio
- Cooks big servings at once
- Built-in, preset thermostat
- Perfect frying results for restaurant-quality food
- Inside and outside nonstick surface makes for a hassle-free cleanup
- Handy scoop makes lifting, draining, and serving easier
- Fits the North American Electrical Standards
- Automatically maintains optimum temperature for frying
- Two-year limited warranty
- Saves on oil cost with 4:4 food to oil ratio
- Cuts down cooking time
- Less food prep involved
- Easy to clean
- Very affordable
- Built-in thermostat maintains oil temperature
- Fries food to perfection
- No soggy or over-fried food
- Compact and easy to store
- Not great for frying in bulk
- Teflon coating inside is prone to melting
- Preset thermostat cannot be adjusted
- Unit may become too hot if over-used
As far as affordable deep fryers go, the Presto FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer is still one of the best deep fryers within its price range. If you’re into frying small amounts of food or you’re planning to enjoy fried food occasionally this is the deep fryer you should add to your kitchen.
Cuisinart CDF-200 Deep Fryer
There is something nostalgic about the smell of fried food. Maybe it takes us back to the time when we were younger and carefree. Or maybe the crispy goodness of fried food just makes us happy in general. Whatever the reason may be, we all have those moments where we look for some comfort in the form of a perfectly fried and crisp food.
Having a deep fryer at home doesn’t mean you’ll start binging on fries or onion rings. A deep fryer can give you a treat as a reward for a long week, and it’s also great when you have company over. This review will look into Cuisinart CDF-200 Deep Fryer to see if it will be a good deep fryer for you.
- Easily make restaurant-quality deep fried food
- Oil capacity of 4-quarts
- Cooks up to 2.3 pounds of food
- Large, stainless, mesh basket with cool-touch handle
- 1800-watt removable immersion-style heating element
- Recovers from heat loss quickly
- 1-gallon enamel-coated oil container with pouring spout is removable
- Uniformed heating
- Basket, oil container, and lid all dishwasher safe
- Trusted kitchenware brand
- Consistently delivers high-quality fried food
- Temperature display
- Monitoring food is easy
- Immersion-style heating element allows consistency
- Maintains a steady temperature for accurate frying
- Recovers from heat loss quickly
- Heats oil within five to ten minutes
- Easy and manageable cleanup
- Consumes a lot of oil
- Not suitable if you are not an avid fried food eater
- More expensive than other brands
- Sometimes fryer does not reach the desired temperature
When it comes to deep fryers that can handle a good amount of frying there’s no other than the Cuisinart CDF-200 Deep Fryer. This is the best fryer to purchase if you are planning to fry in bulk or you are feeding a large family.
Gourmia GDF500 Compact Electric Deep Fryer
Enjoying fried food in moderation can be a worth it treat. The reason why fried food is so delicious is that hot oil alters the taste of the food and gives it another layer of flavor. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that it has a nice and crunchy exterior while the insides are still nice and juicy. Thinking of all those delectable fried food can conjure up a big craving that needs to be satisfied.
Having a deep fryer like the Gourmia GDF500 Compact Electric Deep Fryer can give you easy access to all the fried food you could ever want. From French fries to onion rings, you will be able to make your own versions of this well-loved food and so much more.
- Multi frying capability
- Single/double basket design allows frying of two different types of food
- 2 Liter oil capacity
- Can cook up to four pounds of food
- Simple to use with the digital control
- Lock and block flavor technology enhances taste
- Odor reduction system utilizes activated carbon fry filter
- Produces a clean, fresh, and delicious taste
- Removable fry tank
- Stainless steel exterior
- Easy to clean both interior tank and exterior body
- Allows users to fry two different types of food simultaneously
- Flavors do not mix
- Three baskets with two different sizes
- Large baskets allows bigger batches
- Small baskets allow variety
- Makes frying less of a hassle
- Easy to put together when it arrives
- Easy to pull apart for cleaning
- Temperature stays consistent
- Easy to maintain constant temperature
- Gives restaurant like results
- Eliminates distinct deep-frying odor produced
- Activated carbon filter keeps foul smells at a minimum
- Makes deep-frying more enjoyable
- Eliminates nasty grease smells
- Gets really hot can damage kitchen counters
- Heat-resistant countertop is a must
- More expensive than other brands
- Consumes a lot of counter space
- May be difficult to store
For those who love variety with the food that they eat the Gourmia GDF500 Compact Electric Deep Fryer makes a wonderful deep fryer choice. It allows you to fry more than one kind of food at the same time, giving it a clear edge over other brands and models.
There is no denying that fried food is delicious, but it is also very unhealthy if too much is eaten regularly. Deep fryers give you easy access to fried food whenever you have a craving, but it is also a way to keep you away from fast food and take out. Remember; when you get your hands on the best deep fryer in the market, don’t overdo it. Eat fried food in moderation ,and you will enjoy this guilty pleasure longer.