The first thing you’re going to think of is that, is it even possible? If so, you’re thinking to light or too deep. Deep fried kool aid balls aren’t that hard compared to deep frying water.
Of course, it seems understandable to think that way as it is kind of crazy thinking of how one might be able to cook or deep fry something liquid?
Additionally, deep fried kool aid balls actually are fun and flavorful to eat. It’s not like your usual bland flavored deep fried water. It is sweet and really taste like kool aid and other ingredients you want to add such as vanilla extract and sweeteners.
Some people might call it kool aid donuts as it is made of dough, looking like munchkins with kool aid flavors. It is a great choice of recipe to make when you’re having a party with friends or on your kid’s birthday party.
The idea went viral first hand on the internet where people tries to do some challenges on how to make some meaningless recipes such as deep-fried water and more. Other culinary hobbyist wants to try out their imagination and expand their knowledge about different culinary arts and crafts and succumbs to the challenge of the trend.
Furthermore, ABC News was probably the first one to introduce a video of how to create or cook one and the process and the outcome isn’t really that crazy or bizarre. To be honest, it was amazingly beautiful, fun and very delicious.
It is something sweet and juicy that you would want to eat when you want a relaxing and cool day to spend.
Here’s one way you can make deep fried kool aid balls:
How to Make Deep Fried Kool Aid Balls
There are many ways you can try to cook or make kool aid balls. Some would throw them in the oven as they prefer baking instead of deep frying but we’ll focus more on deep fried kool aid balls due to our main topic as well as it is actually the real first trend.
Other trends come after the original challenge which is deep frying.
The basic ingredients include:
- Baking powder
- Kool aid
- Vanilla Extract
- Kool aid
You can choose other extracts of flavor additives you would want as it is fairly optional but it really matters less as the kool aid itself comes in different flavors.
To be more precise, the flavor of the kool aid balls is actually dependent on the chosen flavor of your kool aid.
- The first thing you need to do is to take out an even size mixing bowl to make your kool aid dough.
- Pour in 1 and a half cups of flour into the mixing bowl along with half a cup of sugar, a teaspoon of baking soda, a few dash of salt and a few ounces of kool aid depending to taste.
- Next thing is to get another mixing bowl to mix those egg and other wet ingredients.
- Break one large egg into the mixing bowl and whisk evenly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of melted butter along with half of the cup milk and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Whisk thoroughly to mix them altogether fine and evenly.
- Add the mixture of wet ingredients to the bowl of your dry ingredients (powdered).
- Mix all of them together.
- You’d notice a change in color as a few ounces of kool aid can actually make the whole ingredients change color which means that the flavor of the kool aid isn’t actually overwhelmed by other ingredients.
- Scope the mixed ingredients and create ball-shaped dough using a scoop or just your hands.
- Put each ball made aside on a clean plate.
- Once all the dough has been made to a ball, prep your deep fryer.
- Heat your deep fryer to about 365 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once preheated or heated, drop the kool aid balls you made into the fryer.
- Deep fry for about a few minutes until the outer layer or crust starts to turn dark red or depending on the color or the flavor of kool aid you used.
- After it cooks, put them on a strainer or a drying paper to allow the excess oil to get absorbed by the paper or get strained.
- Put them all in a nice and clean plate.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top of each kool aid balls to add some flavor and sweetness.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: A few ounces of kool aid can actually create a strong and impactful flavor. Adding a few more ounces to the original recipe might come off a little strong for your taste buds so try to test your taste of how much you want to use.
You can also refer to the video below for a quick tips of deep frying kool aid.
Now that you know the secret on how to deep fry kool aid balls, it now seems very easy to make isn’t it?
You’d also learn that this recipe can also be applied with other types of powdered juices or even powdered chocolate or milk.
In addition, it takes the insane idea of your mind of actually deep frying a liquefied juice as it seems very crazy like with what they did on the deep fried water.
There’s no need to add gelatinous ingredients to allow you to deep fry kool aid balls as it comes in the powdered form originally and not liquefied like with water.