National Presto, a reputed and established ‘kitchen appliances’ company, incorporated in 1905 and based in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, commenced operations by producing mechanical pressure cookers. Over time, as the company gained experience in manufacturing high-quality industrial-grade pressure cookers, it diversified into fabricating quality electric homewares. Today, National Presto is a specialist producer of a wide variety of kitchen appliances, designed for commercial and domestic use, including the best Presto deep fryers.
Presto commercially launched it’s first deep fryer-the FryBaby-in 1976- which became widely popular mainly because the appliance used very little oil for frying foods. A year later, National Presto introduced the FryDaddy, a family-size deep fryer followed by GranPappy in 1978, which was more prominent. The best Presto deep fryers enjoy a good market share in the US and for a good number of reasons.
No matter whichever Presto deep fryer model you choose, you’ll be able to cook a range of foods using a modest amount of oil. On the other hand, using a Presto deep fryer frees you from worries of fire hazards as its models come equipped with advanced safety features.
Buyer’s Guide to Help Select Among the Best Presto Deep Fryer
For cooking restaurant-quality fried goodies with the perfect balance of flavor and crispness, it is crucial not only to use the appropriate frying methods but also the right equipment. You can rustle-up almost any deep-fried treat at home, including but not limited to deep-fried cheesecake, corn dog, fried calamari, and tempura. But if you do not use a quality deep fryer or employ the right mode for frying in sizzling oil, your treats will be excessively greasy.
Use the right frying techniques & a premium quality deep fryer
Of course, savoring deeply fried foods whets your appetite, but they’re not useful or beneficial from the perspective of health. On top of that if you do not fry corn dogs or mozzarella sticks evenly then these foods will be more damaging for your wellbeing. So when it comes to frying goodies with perfection, learning and practicing the right cooking techniques is indispensable.
For instance, you should use the right oil (peanut, sunflower or soybean), maintain a consistent temperature, and use a cooling shelf for draining the oil. Your next concern should be to select the best deep fryer by comparing 5-6 models on the basis of the following criterions or parameters:-
- Size (for maintaining the perfect proportion of cooking oil and foods)
- Thermostat for automatic presetting of oil temperature
- Snap-on lid or cover with oil filter
- Detachable dishwasher-safe components for easy cleaning
- Appropriate wattage rating for sufficient power
- Adjustable temperature control mechanism that can attain a high temperature (up to 375°F)
- Multiple fryer tubs or baskets of different sizes for storing fried items and draining
- Built-in faucet-style tap for quick draining of oil
- Efficient oil filtration system for filtering oil and removing overcooked crumbs and sediments
- Removable frying compartment for easy and quick clean-up
Considerations for selecting a deep fryer that best fits your needs
The capacity or size of a deep fryer is determined by the number of cups of food it can cook as well as by the quantity of oil it can accept. A unit that can brew 3-4 cups of food is ideal for singles or couples without kids, and a fryer capable of cooking eight cups of eating is perfect for families. Alternatively, a deep fryer that can hold up to 1.5lbs of cooking oil is the smallest size you can buy.
Deep fryer type
Your primary concern should be to select the deep fryer type that will best fit your needs and preferences. That said, you’ll come across three distinct types of deep fryers: rotary fryers, lidless/detachable lid fryers, and fryers with snap-on lids. A rotary fryer as the name indicates has a frying tub that revolves when you lower it inside the oil compartment.
A rotating fryer basket ensures that foods are fried consistently with accurate crispiness. Lidless deep fryers or those with detachable covers are easier to clean-up but at the same time cannot prevent oil from splattering. Fryers with lockable or snap-on lids allow you to place and remove the fryer tub without having to open or detach the cover.
Apart from the basic features, ensure that the product has some extra features for making the frying process more convenient. For a start, check out whether the unit has a built-in thermostat that can automatically set the appropriate temperature for making French fries or fried chicken. You’ll need to periodically clean your deep fryer and take good care of the unit so that you use it for many years.
Make sure the fryer comes with dishwasher-compatible removable components that will make the cleaning process more comfortable. Using a deep fryer at home is always fraught with risks as heating up oil increases the likelihood of combustion. So, it is incredibly essential to go for a unit with cool-touch side grips, and lid handles, stay-cool exterior wall, porthole on the lid, and auto switch-off function.
At the same time, you should choose a product with a nonstick interior, especially if you’re learning to deep fry.
Reviewing the Best Presto Deep Fryers
The Presto 05414 Gran Pappy Elite Electric Deep Fryer is ideal for small families looking to fry restaurant-style chicken wings right in the comfort of their homes. Rustle up delicious French fries, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, fried cheese, and shrimp rolls safely and securely. You do not have to manually set the appropriate frying temperature for a recipe as the Gran Pappy Elite Electric Deep Fryer does it automatically.
This Presto 05414 Deep Fryer comes with a built-in thermostat, which mechanically presets the accurate temperature for a variety of items. At the same time, you save substantially on cooking oil as the unit prepares six family-size servings using only six cups of oil. The frying compartment can hold up to 1.4 liters of oil, and the anodized aluminum interior guarantees quick uniform heating.
So, you can rest assure that French fries, cheese rolls, or chicken rolls will be fried consistently, ensuring the perfect level of crispiness and flavor.
- The aluminum interior coated with a protective layer of oxide for ensures quick and consistent heating
- The brushed stainless steel construction guarantees a lasting functional life
- The snap-on detachable lid lets you store cooking oil in the unit for repeated use
- Has inbuilt thermostat for automatic setting of frying temperature
- Comes with a scoop for lifting and serving fries and draining oil: keeps spills and messes to a minimum
- Does not have any oil filtration system that can remove debris and sediments, making the oil fit for reuse
- The frying compartment cannot be removed for easy cleaning
The 05461 Stainless Steel Pro Fry Deep Fryer from National Presto is one of the most versatile and efficient deep fryers in the market. This Stainless Steel Pro Fry deep fryer features an intuitive and adjustable thermostat that allows you to preset the frying temperature up to a maximum of 375°. Hence you can cook a near-endless range of fares including but not limited to cheeseburger corndogs, mini fried apple pies, and cheesy mashed potato fries.
The frying chamber designed in the shape of a rectangle renders the compartment perfect for frying large portions or servings of fish, chicken, or beef. An indicator light glows brightly, signaling that the cooking is ready to fry. Both the anodized frying tub and the immersion heating element can be detached and taken out, which makes cleaning them quite easy.
- This deep fryer can fry up to eight large cups of food items at one go; perfect for large families
- The unit also functions as an effective steamer
- The 1800W immersion heating element heats oil quickly as well as reclaims oil temperature rapidly
- The lid is equipped with a filter that checks to the splatter of oil when food items are lowered into frying oil
- The sturdy stainless steel construction makes the unit durable and resilient
- The thermostat does not always allow the unit to attain the preset temperature
- The magnetic breakaway cord is somewhat short
The Presto 05420 FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer allows you to perfectly fry chicken wings, potato slivers, and onion rings. On the other hand, this deep fryer unit from Presto also lets you save upfront on cooking oil expenses. The 05420 Presto Electric Deep Fryer consumes only four oil cupfuls for frying four large servings or portions of chicken or fish.
At the same time, you do not have to deal with any knobs or buttons for setting and maintaining the appropriate frying temperature. This FryDaddy 05420 Electric Deep Fryer sets the right frying temperature on its own. The unit includes a versatile ladle or serving spoon that helps you scoop out and serve food.
The included scoop also comes in perfectly handy for draining out and storing the oil for future use. The Presto 05420 deep fryer has a very compact profile and therefore takes up minimal storage space.
- The nonstick surface both on the inside and outside makes the unit very convenient to clean
- The snap-on lid cover can be locked and detached with ease, helping in safe storage of cooking oil
- The deep fryer selects the required frying temperature automatically
- Helps you economize on oil
- 1200W heating element for faster heating of oil as well as recovery of oil temperature
- The plastic cover is incapable of preventing oil from splattering out and is good for storage only
- The exterior surface, as well as the underside, gets overly hot which could cause scalding if one is not careful
If you wish to serve your family with hefty servings of mozzarella sticks and prawn rolls, then look no further than the Presto 05466 deep fryer. The Presto 05466 Stainless Steel Deep Fryer comes with two large fryer baskets that let you store up to 12 cups of fried foods. The 1800W immersion-style heating oil heats oil in a jiffy and also recovers optimum oil temperature quickly. Hence, enabling you to cook meals in a short period.
The adaptable and receptive thermostat comes to your aid when you need to set a suitable frying temperature for different recipes. An indicator signals you that it is time for the oil to start heating up. The included lid cover has a heavy-duty charcoal-based filter. This filter helps keep the splattering of oil as well as foul odors to a minimum.
- Adjustable thermostat for setting oil temperature
- Indicator light signals when it is time to start heating the oil
- Constructed from aluminum and stainless steel: durable, hardy, and lightweight
- 1800W immersion-style heating element rapidly heats the oil and recovers oil temperature
- Rectangular fryer baskets for quickly frying large chunks of fish, cheese or chicken
- Does not have a filtration system for filtering and draining the oil
- The handles on the basket are flimsy
To savor restaurant-quality fried foods without the greasy or oily feeling, Presto 05411 GranPappy Electric Deep Fryer is a good option. The Deep Fryer has been designed with meticulous care, which makes the unit simple to use. At the same time, the ergonomic design of the unit allows you to install it on a small countertop. It even supports storing it in a tight enclosure.
You can fry six large servings of chicken or French fries using only six cupfuls of oil. This GranPappy electric deep fryer comes with a snap-on cover. It allows you to preserve oil to use for your subsequent frying sessions. A handy ladle or serving spoon has been included for comfortable lifting. It facilitates serving of food and also for transferring oil.
- 1500W heating element maintains optimum oil temperature
- Robust cast aluminum construction with nonstick exterior and interior and anti-skid rubberized feet
- Automatic setting of appropriate frying temperature; no need to manage controls or knobs
- Holds six cups of oil for frying six scoops of food
- Heats oil only at a single temperature-400°F and there is no temperature control function
- No insulation coat on the frying chamber
- The fryer heats oil too quickly which can pose problems at times
Picking and choosing the five best Presto deep fryers for this review was not a very difficult task. This is because the company produces a limited number of quality models. For a deep fryer that will let you cook large servings of fried foods, then go for the GranPappy models. Alternatively, if you’ve limited space on your kitchen countertop, then opt for the Presto 05420 FryDaddy deep fryer.