- in Grills
A griddle is a flat and broad cooking surface that is heated by the use of gas or electricity. It resembles a stone tablet or a flat metal plate. You also get uniform cooking area that does not require much cleaning. It performs the function of a grill and additionally allows you to cook other liquid-based food like eggs and pancakes on it as well.
Types of Gas Griddle
The following types of gas griddles are available in the market
- Dedicated: This is the largest size of the gas griddles available. They are heavier and more expensive. They take up more space than other alternatives. However, this type of griddle is suitable for commercial use in restaurants and food joints for quick and efficient service. They often have wheels attached to the legs of the unit to help is easy movement.
- Tabletop/Portable: As the name suggests this variety of grill is portable and can be kept on the countertop. They are smaller in size and cheaper as compared to the dedicated gas griddles. They are lightweight as well which makes them easy to carry for outdoor activities like camping.
- Placed on Existing Grill: If you already have a grill at home, you can opt to buy this kind of a griddle that fits on your existing unit. This is a practical and inexpensive addition to your kitchen appliances as it does not take up any extra space. The flat surface can be placed on top of the gas grills for efficient cooking.
Difference between a Gas Griddle and a Gas Grill
- Taste and texture – Gas grills are known for the authentic charred and smoky flavor that it gives to the food cooked on it. Gas griddles offer a flat surface that gives a fried taste to the food.
- Time – The time taken to cook the food is less in case of gas grills as the food is in contact with the open flame. The time taken for food to cook on the gas griddle is slightly longer than the time taken by a gas grill.
- Convenience – Grills are heavier and often fixed to the cooking unit. This makes it difficult to move. In the case of griddles, they are lighter and are more portable. They can be fit on to your existing grill and stored on kitchen countertops too.
Factors to Consider before buying a gas griddle
The first factor to take into account before buying a gas griddle is the size of the griddle. The size of the appliance will depend on other considerations such as the purpose and frequency of its use, the quantity of food you want to cook, etc. For example, if you intend on purchasing the griddle for commercial use you may want to buy a larger unit as compared to a unit that you may choose for personal use at home. Likewise, a large family will require a larger sized unit than a smaller family. Moreover, you must ensure that there should be enough storage space available at your home to keep the gas griddle that you choose to purchase.
Number of Burners
It is also important to consider the number of burners included in the gas griddle unit that you intend to buy. This may also be affected by the purpose of use. If you want to use the unit for commercial purposes and have to deliver large quantities of food within a short time, you should look for a unit with many burners. In case you are purchasing the gas griddle for personal use at home, you can opt for a unit with a lesser number of burners. The surface that doesn’t have burners under it can be used as a cold surface to regulate and cook the food at a lower temperature, whenever required.
A gas griddle is a long term investment. Therefore, you will want your griddle to be durable and work efficiently, over time. The material and built of the griddle is what affects the durability of the product. In the case of a gas griddle, you should opt for units made of chrome or stainless steel. However, the unit made of such material is often very expensive. Hence, you can opt for other cheaper varieties of material that are resistant to rusting. Steel and aluminum are alternatives for griddle materials, but they should include features like an additional heat-resistant coating, to make them a suitable option.
You should have a clear idea about the amount of money you are willing to spend on buying a gas griddle. Your budget will depend on the funds available at your disposal as well as the purpose of its use. If you want to buy the unit for a commercial purpose you should opt for an expensive option that offers more features, space, and longer warranty period. However, if you want to use the unit just for yourself or your house you can opt for a unit at a lower price and fewer features and space.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Ensure that the unit you purchase is easy to clean. The material, build, and design should allow quick and easy cleaning. You will be able to use the unit for a longer time and more efficiently if you can keep it clean.
5 Best Outdoor Gas Griddles
This 36-inch gas griddle by Blackstone offers a great cooking experience. The company is based in the USA and is a reputed name in the market. It offers 720 square inches of cooking space. It is easy to clean due to its innovative design. The unit has a grease drain in the front of the griddle to help in draining excess oil and cleaning the unit after its use. It also has two side tables for food storage. The unit is durable as the burners are made of stainless steel which makes is less likely to damages from rust or corrosion.
- 720 square inches cooking space
- 36 inch wide
- Frontal grease drain
- Two side tables
- Extra storage space under the griddle
- Stainless steel gas burners
- Resistant to corrosion and rust
- 4 burners
- 60000 BTUs heating
- Dimension : 40 x 25 x 14.5 in
- Cooking surface is made of rolled steel that retains heat and cooks evenly and efficiently
- Easy to clean
- Includes wheels that make it easy to move
- Large cooking surface
- 4 independent burners with temperature control
- The front grease drain tends to leak
- The wheels are not sturdy and they may move about making the unit less stable
This is a portable griddle by Blackstone that offers 260 in.² of cooking space. Further, the unit can be stored on the kitchen countertop. It does not require you to make space for the unit. It is a good option for those who have a small family of travel frequently. The portable appliance that can be carried for outdoor activities like camping, hunting, tailgating, etc. The griddle requires a 1-pound propane bottle for its fuel source. It is easy to start the griddle using the electric igniter which takes very little effort and time. It comes with a removable cooking surface making it easy to clean.
- Compact and small design
- Countertop storage
- Requires 1-pound propane bottle for fuel
- Good for outdoor activities
- Built-in grease catcher
- Starts with an electric igniter
- Removable cooking surface
- 260 in.² cooking surface
- Produces 12,000 BTUs of heat
- Portable which makes it ideal for outdoor activities
- Easy storage
- Easy to clean due to removable cooking surface
- Efficient heating
- Stainless steel built makes its durable and corrosion resistant
- Concentrated heating area
- H-shaped heating design, allows an only small quantity of food to be cooked at a time
This larger gas griddle combo gives you the flexibility to cook on the griddle or grill at the same time. Both cooking surfaces are side-by-side and each offers 292 in.² of cooking space. This is 584 in.² in total allows all types of cooking. It has four stainless steel burners for 4 cooking zones, two on each surface, with a total output of 12,000 BTUs of heat. The product is suitable to cook for a family of 4 or 5 members. It uses a simple button to start the electronic ignition and begin heating. It has a built-in grease channel and removal drip pans that help to clean the unit with ease.
- Built-in grease channel and removable drip pans
- Electronic ignition
- 12,000 BTUs of heat output
- Dual-use of gas grill and griddle
- Total cooking space of 584 in.²
- Easy to use
- Large cooking space
- Efficient heating
- Dual-use of grill and griddle in the same unit
- Easy to clean
- Assembling the unit is tedious and time-consuming
It has a griddle surface of 604 in.², which helps keep the size of the overall unit down a little bit. It offers large side tables for food storage while cooking. These side tables can be folded down when they are not in use. It uses 4 stainless steel burners with matchless ignition for ease of use and features two wheels instead of four to allow for transportation to and from a given storage area.
- 604 in.² cooking surface
- 4 stainless steel burners
- Side tables
- Foldable parts
- Easy ignition
- Efficient heating
- Durable stainless steel burners
- Food storage area
- Folding parts of the unit allow easy storage
- Difficult to clean
An alternative for a portable griddle is this model. It uses 2 burners instead of an “H-shaped” burner in the center, giving you a little more fine control over your cooking area. The surface is 285 in.² and is made from extra thick cold rolled steel, which helps dissipate heat evenly even if it doesn’t protect against rust quite as effectively.
It uses a hose that’s fitted for larger, 20 pounds propane tanks, so consider this fuel requirement before you make a final purchase.
- 2 burners
- Controlled cooking
- 285 square inch cooking surface
- Cooking surface made of rolled steel
- 20 pounds propane tank for fuel
- Durable and well built
- Durable and long-lasting service
- Controlled cooking temperature
- Sufficient cooking space
- Rolled steel makes it easy to clean
- Resistant to rust
- Difficult to move or shift
The above-mentioned list includes several products of varying varieties. The listed items are some of the best outdoor gas griddles available for purchase in the market. Blackstone is a well-known name in the field of gas griddles. It has offered us two different sizes of units with different measures of cooking surface. People with commercial requirements may opt for the larger size while those wanting to buy the griddle for personal use may opt for the smaller size as it is easier to store and takes up less space. The griddle by Cuisinart also offers some great features and it is made of quality rolled steel which is durable, easy to clean, and long-lasting.
You can opt to buy any of the above-mentioned products as per your requirements.