- in Pits
A gas fire pit usually refers to outdoor or patio furniture. It often resembles the structure of a table with a place at the center that allows the users to light a fire using fuel like gas and contains lava rocks or charcoal. Here is a list of 5 Best Gas Fire Pits that will help you bring a rustic-outdoor charm to your home.
Advantages of gas fire pits over wood-burning fire pits:
Fire pits are mainly of two types, the gas fire pits, and the wood-burning pits. The basic difference between the two; as the names suggest, lies in the type of fuel used. However, the following are a few advantages of using a gas fire pit over a wood-burning fire pit.
Wood-burning pits will leave behind ash residue that you will have to scrub off and clean to maintain cleanliness. In the case of a gas fire pit, no such effort is required as there is no residue because the flames are powered by gas.
You simply have to switch on the gas in case of a gas fire pit as opposed to the stoking and lighting required in a wood-burning pit. There is no need to add more coal or wood.
Wood-burning pits emit smoke and other by-products while burning that might pose a risk to health if users consume it over extended periods. Thus, using a gas fire pits helps to reduce health risks as well.
Gas burning fire pits are much more visually and aesthetically appealing compared to wood-burning pits. It helps to add to the beauty and appeal of your house giving it a rustic, warm, and cozy look.
Gas fire pits are much safer than wood-burning pits. In the case of gas fire pits, the flame can be controlled and there is no chance of sparks or smoke while using the pit. Thus, it is much safer to use.
Things to keep in mind while buying a gas fire pit
Following are some of the factors that individuals must keep in mind before purchasing a gas fire pit:
- You need to ensure that the gas fire pit that you intend to buy is safe to use. It should meet the certified safety standards of use.
- The most important thing to do before choosing a gas fire pit is to set a budget on how much you would want to spend on it. The budget should be set as per your requirements. In case you require the pit for regular use or you live in a place where the weather conditions are harsh and/or unpredictable, you should opt for a sturdy and durable pit, which may be more expensive than other varieties.
- Gas fire pits may work on natural gas or propane, you need to check what kind of fuel is required by the model that you wish to purchase and make a decision accordingly.
- The propane tanks that come with the gas fire pits are of a standard size and capacity. However, the fuel consumption will depend on the frequency of use of the fire pit. Thus, you may have to purchase an additional tank or replace the existing tank with one that has a larger capacity to meet your needs.
- It is advisable to purchase a tile to cover the pit when it is not in use to ensure that rain does not affect the functioning of the fire pit. If the pit collects water, you may have to wait for it to dry before you can use it again.
5 Best Gas Fire Pits
The gas fire pit 67836 model by Bond Manufacturing is suited for camping, hunting, tailgating, as well in the patio or backyard. It comes with a lid that locks, which reduces the risk of the pit getting wet in the rain. The pit is portable and it can be carried easily using the carry handle. It produces 54000 BTU which provides ample heat and comes with an 18.5″ fire bowl. Further, the unit includes an auto-ignition dial that allows you to control the heat and adjust it as per your needs. The pit’s lightweight design is an added advantage which makes it even more desirable for people who enjoy outdoor activities like camping, hunting, etc.
- Produces ample heat with 54,000 BTU
- Lightweight design makes it portable
- Carry handle makes it easy to carry
- The unit comes with a regulator, lid, tank holder, gas hose, stones
- The frame is made of steel and has a rubbed bronze finish
- The unit can support a 20-pound propane tank
- Safe to be used on wooden decks
- Height 7″, width 18.5″
- Autoignition dial to help control and adjust the flame
- Stainless steel control panel
- Plenty of lava rocks
- Well built
- Good quality propane hose and tank connector
- Easy to use
- Comes with a small steel ring to place the propane tank
- Thin Welding on the burner
- Igniter doesn’t work well
The GLT1332SP gas fire pit by Uniflame is a great choice for you if you are looking for a pit that promises aesthetic appeal along with durability. The stainless steel burner of this fire pit emits 10,000 BTU making it an efficient source of heat on a chilly day. The unit boasts of an electronic ignition making it safe and reliable. It also includes a black fire glass and faux stone construction with a slate finish, to give you that rustic look that you’ve always wanted to add to your deck. To add to this, the pit works quietly without disturbing the tranquility of a lovely fall evening.
- 10,000 BTU stainless steel burner
- Hidden control panel with electronic ignition
- Slate finish with faux stone construction
- Includes black fire glass
- LP tank not included
- Not very large
- Easy to use
- Built-in regulator
- The exterior is difficult to clean
- Does not put out heat
The outdoor table gas fire pit by Elementi Granville is another impressive choice for those who want to invest in a fire pit that is designed to add beauty to their house. It is a rather large unit that measures 60 inches, making it ideal for large houses with outdoor spaces that need decoration with practical use. The unit has electronic ignition which makes it safe for use. A fireplace is included in the unit to ensure that users do not face difficulty to use the pit after rains. It also comes with Lava rocks to add to the aesthetic appeal of the fire pit.
- Outdoor table design gas fire pit
- Length 60 inches
- Concrete fire pit
- Electronic ignition
- Fireplace cover and lava rock included with the unit
- The concrete finish makes it durable due to high heat resistance
- Weighs 176 pounds
- Produces heat – 45, 000 BTUs
- Length of fire pit ring burner – 30 inches
- Outdoor fire pit dimensions: length 60’’, width 27’’, height 17’’
- Safety certification by CSA and CE for the patio flame
- Auto-safety shut off feature reduces the risk of accidents
- The table can be used for outdoor dining purposes as well
- Easy to connect to the gas line
- Sturdy as it is made of concrete
- Auto-shutoff feature reduce risks of accidents
- CSA and CE safety certification
- if subjected to rain cracks may occur on the surface, the water may clog the burners and the users may have to wait for the burner to work only after it is completely dry
The Hiland FS-1010-T-12 is a square-shaped outdoor fire pit with a hammered bronze finish. It gives 42, 000 BTU’S of heat output, which is efficient and sufficient for a cozy setting. The heating area measures about 15ft in diameter and the device work on electric ignition. The unit also contains a thermocouple flame failure device that has been approved as per the CSA standards, to ensure the safety of the users. The housing and frame for the unit are made of aluminum which makes it sturdy and durable. The design of the fire pit allows the users easy access to the propane tank door.
- The unit has a Hammered Bronze finish
- Dimensions of the Tabletop: 50. 5″ X 35. 75″
- Unit height: 24″
- Heat output: 42, 000 BTU’S
- electric ignition
- 15Ft diameter heating area (approximately)
- CSA approved thermocouple flame failure device, to ensure safety
- upgraded fire glass used in the unit
- Easy access propane tank door
- Stainless Steel burner pan and ring
- All aluminum housing and frame
- Easy to light
- No smoke while burning
- Provides sufficient heat
- Easy to assemble
- The tray for the propane tube and glass stones does not have holes for drainage so it may collect water when it rains
- Unclear instructions
This gas fire pit by AmazonBasics is a good option for you if you want a portable gas fire pit. This model offers a fire screen and painted steel bowl, and a heat-resistant build which allows users to handle it with ease. The company realizes that not all users are handy with tools that is why this fire pit does not require you to use any tools to assemble it. It comes with a clear instruction manual that easy to follow. The fire pit unit includes a cooking grate, fire tool, and log grate.
- Heat-resistant build
- The unit includes fire screen and painted steel bowl
- Log grate, cooking grate, carrying bag and fire tool are included with the fire pit
- Easy to assemble as it does not require the use of any tools
- Firepit unit measurements: length 3 inches, Height 16.5 inches
- Sturdy legs
- User-friendly design
- Heat-resistant mesh to cover the fire screen
- Dome-shaped cover for the fire screen contains the flames to burn without the risk of any sparks
- Loop handles on the fire screen for easy handling by reducing the risk of burns and other related accidents
- The unit comes with dual grates that serve two purposes- making the fire pit suited for multipurpose use.
- Legs are curve-shaped and sturdy to provide stability in all types of terrain – pavement, grass, dirt, etc.
- Legs are designed such that they can be folded and carried easily
- Durable covers
- Paint does not chip easily
- Good value for money
- Ideal for campsites that are restrictive on fires
- Can be used to cook on it
- Legs may need to be tightened
The products mentioned above have been listed to form an assorted list of the best gas fire pits that cater to the varied requirements and preferences of different consumers. Bond Manufacturing 67836 gas fire pit is a good choice for users who enjoy outdoor activities and want to carry the pit with them. This fire pit is portable and lightweight, so it can be used for activities like camping and hunting.
The 26-inch folding gas fire pit by AmazonBasics is a preferred buy for those users who do not want to face the hassle of using tools to assemble complex gas fire pits. The unit has a user-friendly design and clear instructions to help even the most challenged tool-users to set their fire pit with ease.
However, if you want to make multiple uses of your fire pit for cooking, heating as well as aesthetic enhancement, you should buy the Amazon Basic 26-inch fire pit, which comes with two sets of removable grates – one for cooking and the other for the logs.